Mold Growth in Your Garage
South Florida homeowners know all about September humidity and rainy days. From tropical storms and hurricanes to heavy rainstorms and afternoon showers, Florida garages take a beating when it comes to moisture. Unfortunately, the summer season in Florida creates the perfect combination of elements for mold growth. From the humidity and moisture to the dark environment, a garage is often a hotspot for mold growth in Sunshine State homes.
While the interior of a home is protected from the outside elements, the garage is vulnerable to the exterior elements. Even the tightest sealed garages will have some exposure between the floor and the edge of the garage door. Plus, when pulling into the garage in a rainstorm water will inevitably get inside. Heavy rainstorms can even cause water to pool in the garage, further exacerbating the problem. As such, the garage is a danger zone for mold growth.
Prevention is key to keeping mold growth out of the garage. All South Florida homeowners should be sure to follow these tips to prevent this from happening:
- Regularly inspect your garage, checking for leaks and areas where excessive moisture may be present
- Inspect the roof of the garage to make sure that there are no damaged gutters or broken pipes
- Consider ventilation methods to try to control the humidity in the garage
- Try to keep the garage as well-lit as possible
- Make sure that the garage door is well sealed and be sure to replace seals when they are beginning to wear
- Pay attention to storage and keep your garage organized
- Make sure that anything that is stored in the garage has no water on it
- Avoid using wood or paper products in the garage
- Keep plant growth around the garage to a minimum
- Contact a professional at the first sign of any mold growth
Mold growth in the garage can go from a minor problem to a major issue quickly. It is extremely important for you to apply the above tips in your home. If any mold growth is identified, it is critical to contact a mold removal specialist as soon as possible.